Our commitment to privacy
ReadersHealthDigest.com is a division of PVI Marketing Services Inc. ReadersHealthDigest.com knows that protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is important to consumers. Collection, use and disclosure of personal information by ReadersHealthDigest.com is governed by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the “Act”), and any applicable legislation. This Privacy Code explains what personal information is collected from its customers and how it is used. It also explains how you can ask questions, make suggestions, and complain about our privacy practices. This Privacy Code applies to personal information (see below) collected by ReadersHealthDigest.com. Be aware that ReadersHealthDigest.com may contain links to other websites provided and maintained exclusively by third parties not subject to this Privacy Code. Please review the privacy policies on any external websites to determine their information handling practices. ReadersHealthDigest.com will not be liable under any circumstances for any damages whatsoever, direct or indirect, resulting from any use of ReadersHealthDigest.com or any other third party website linked to ReadersHealthDigest.com, whether or not we are advised of the possibility of such damages.
Readers Health Digest is serious about protecting your online privacy. This Privacy Statement explains our views and practices concerning privacy, and how they may pertain to you as a user of our website.
“You” or “Your” means you as a participant in or as a user of the ReadersHealthDigest.com website. “We” or “Our” or “Us” means Readers Health Digest. “Our site” means ReadersHealthDigest.com.
All information transmitted, printed or otherwise submitted to ReadersHealthDigest.com via this website shall be deemed to be the property of Readers Health Digest and Readers Health Digest shall be free to use such information for any lawful purpose as detailed herein.
This site contains links to other sites and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
We reserve the right to release such information to law enforcement or other governmental officials as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary to comply with the law.
If you have any additional concerns or questions, we encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will address your concerns to the best of our ability. Please read this Privacy Code carefully, and check back periodically as we update it from time to time. By submitting your personal information to ReadersHealthDigest.com, you signify your agreement to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Code.
Section 1: Collected Information
We automatically collect and/or track the following:
- Web page http headers (home server domain names, IP address, type of client computer, and type of Web browser);
- information knowingly provided by you through on-line forms, registration forms, surveys, and/or other entries, such as email addresses, personal or demographic information;
- information, user specific or aggregate, on what pages our visitors access; and
- E-mail addresses of visitors that communicate with ReadersHealthDigest.com via e-mail.
Section 2: Use of Data Collected and Personal Information
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Information used solely for journalistic purposes is exempted from the Act.
ReadersHealthDigest.com is responsible for personal information under its control. Our employees are informed about the importance of privacy and receive periodic information to update them about our Privacy Code and related policies.
We use your personal, demographic and profile data to enhance your experience at our site and to enable us to present content we think you might be interested in. We use your contact information to send you information about our company and promotional material from our partners. We may also use your personal, demographic and profile data to improve our site, for statistical analysis, for marketing and promotional purposes, and for editorial or feedback purposes for our advertisers. Information collected by us may be added to our databases and used for future telemarketing, SMS text-messaging, social media, e-mails or postal mailings regarding site updates, new products and services, upcoming events, and/or status of orders placed online. By using this site, you agree that you may be contacted in any manner contemplated in this section even if your number is found on a do not call registry, in-house list or similar registry.
ReadersHealthDigest.com collects personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means.
We collect personal contact information (for example, name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; register on an online forum or website, or to attend a paid event; purchase any product directly from ReadersHealthDigest.com (excluding 3rd party service/product providers with which Readers Health Digest may or may not have an affiliate agreement with); are an advertiser or auction participant; or provide it to us when you attend a trade or consumer show. This information is used to fulfill your request and respond to your inquiries.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners.
- We collect purchase history and a list of promotions offered to you (“history”), in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine eligibility for our products and services.
- We do not collect, use or store your location history and do not allow location tracking in any form.
- We may also use personal contact and history information from time to time to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to goods or services you requested and which ReadersHealthDigest.com provides. In addition, if you have agreed, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- We keep notes and special instructions on file for advertisers and subscribers to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service.
- We collect credit card information if you: register on a paid website; enter a paid contest; register to attend a paid event; purchase any product from ReadersHealthDigest.com; are an advertiser or an auction participant. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you complain to any of our departments, we collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating and responding to you.
- If you are a freelancer, or other service provider, we collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you. We may also collect financial information (for example, banking details and credit history) from our freelancers, other service providers or advertisers, to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other information to help us evaluate services.
- Purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, which are not set out in this Privacy Code, will be set out at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any additional purposes no later than the time of collection.
We also collect certain non-personal information, like internet cookies and data for market research:
If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration.
We may place advertising or other links on our sites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. ReadersHealthDigest.com does not control these cookies, nor is it responsible for any marketing or other use of your name by these advertisers.
- Market research: Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. Survey results are aggregated and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not disclose personal information.
To whom does ReadersHealthDigest.com disclose personal information, and why?
ReadersHealthDigest.com may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- In order to provide you with Marketing Offers (see above), ReadersHealthDigest.com may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers if you have consented. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- ReadersHealthDigest.com may transfer your personal information to service providers acting on its behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, product delivery, or credit card processing.
- When ReadersHealthDigest.com needs to disclose your personal information to unrelated parties, for example, if we find you have violated any stated terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and other legal reasons.
- ReadersHealthDigest.com may disclose your personal information to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties. We will require such parties to treat your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Code and to use and disclose it only for the purposes for which it was collected.
We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.
ReadersHealthDigest.com maintains personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information. Not all ReadersHealthDigest.com businesses collect credit card information. If you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes information such as your credit card number, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure. Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or chat rooms are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users.
How to access and correct your personal information
We provide you with the means to access, update, edit or delete any of your subscriber or registration information you have provided at any time by clicking on the “Modify your Preferences” link at the bottom of every email sent.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
Section 3: Disclosure of Data to Third Parties
If you choose to provide personal information, it will be used for the following purposes:
- considering you for a ReadersHealthDigest.com product;
- as required by law; and
- for marketing products and services which we determine, in our sole judgment, that you might find of interest. We reserve the right to share, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose data we collect to third parties. Any third party we share, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose data to will be prescreened by us, determined by us to be reputable, and will use the personal data for marketing products and services which we determine, in our sole judgment, that you might find of interest.
Section 4: Your Opt-Out Rights
In general, ReadersHealthDigest.com seeks consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, ReadersHealthDigest.com obtains your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information. You may opt-out of receiving communications from us and/or our partners by not submitting your information. We also allow you to remove your information from our marketing lists. If you remove your information from our marketing lists it will no longer be used by us to send promotional correspondence to you. You can remove your information from our marketing lists by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of every email we send you, or by sending your request, in writing, via email to: supportATReadersHealthDigestDOTcom (Please replace “AT” with @ and “DOT” with .)
Section 5: We Do Not Intend to Collect Data from Children
The information and services provided to us or our affiliates, sponsors, and advertisers are not intended to be viewed by children (under 18 years old). No information collected from children is knowingly used for any marketing or promotional purposes whatsoever, either inside or outside ReadersHealthDigest.com. No part of the ReadersHealthDigest.com website is structured to attract anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else, over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
Section 6: Our Right to Contact You
Section 7: Our Right to Change
Section 8: Our Contact Information
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this website, you can contact us via email sent to: supportATReadersHealthDigestDOTcom (Please replace “AT” with @ and “DOT” with .)
Section 9: Anti Spam Policy. Can-Spam Act Compliance
ReadersHealthDigest.com is dedicated to ensuring compliance with the ‘Can-Spam Act’, which took effect January 1, 2004. You may receive email from Readers Health Digest in the following circumstances:
- Acknowledging your application has been received and requesting additional action
- Requests for additional information to support your current application
- Response to your inquiries regarding the status of your transactional requests
- Thanking you for your valued business
- Advertisements for our products, services, changes in services, new product availability
- Advertisements for third party products and services where we have determined that such product or service may be of interest to our customers
To ensure compliance with the Can-Spam Act, ReadersHealthDigest.com has implemented the following guidelines for email delivery:
- All emails sent to you by Readers Health Digest will clearly identify Readers Health Digest as the sender. FROM / SENDER:representative or departnmentname@ReadersHealthDigest .com (NOTE: The actual sender will alter from department to department, but all from addresses will end with @ReadersHealthDigest.com ).
- The Subject Line of any email you receive will always accurately describe the subject matter of the email.
- Any email from Readers Health Digest will include the ability to unsubscribe from future email messages.
- Unsubscribing will ensure the customer is removed from ALL lists at Readers Health Digest; this excludes customer service emails regarding the processing and status of a current product.
- All emails sent to you directly by Readers Health Digest include valid postal address information in the footer.
- All third party marketing partners are required to comply with the Can-Spam Act.
- Emails sent to you directly by Readers Health Digest will include an email address and physical address where you can send suggestions, complaints or other correspondence.
Section 10: Information for ISPs
Web site: ReadersHealthDigest.com
Email Address: supportATReadersHealthDigestDOTcom
(Please replace “AT” with @ and “DOT” with .)
Readers Health Digest understands consumers’ concerns over the use of their personal information. We hope this information will relieve any concerns your company may have regarding our email policies. Readers Health Digest and its affiliated sites use only an “opt-in or opt out” method of obtaining customer information, and it is not our policy or desire to send unsolicited email. We obtain email addresses and personal information from third parties that follow the same set of policies. Readers Health Digest email messages sent always include information about the origin of the emails and instructions on how recipients can unsubscribe from receiving future email messages.
From time to time, Readers Health Digest will enter into an arrangement with a third party website to allow individuals to opt into our marketing program on those third party websites. In each case the third party websites have represented and warranted to us, among other things,
- that the data was collected voluntarily from individuals on website registrations and co-registrations,
- that the sellers have a right, under any applicable privacy statements, to transfer the data to us, and
- that Readers Health Digest has the right to send marketing offers to the individuals.
We hope this information satisfies any questions or concerns you may have regarding the email practices of Readers Health Digest. If you have additional questions or wish to discuss this matter further, please contact us at: supportATReadersHealthDigestDOTcom (Please replace “AT” with @ and “DOT” with .)
How to challenge our privacy practices
ReadersHealthDigest.com encourages you to contact us with any questions or concerns you have about your privacy or this Privacy Code. If you have a question concerning ReadersHealthDigest.com’s Privacy Code, would like a copy, or if you have a complaint, please contact ReadersHealthDigest.com Client Services at:
Updated: November 21, 2016